Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

School Tax Relief (STAR)

The STAR program applies to the School tax bill only. If you are eligible and enrolled in the STAR program, you’ll receive your benefit each year in one of two ways:

  • STAR credit check. If you are registered for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will send you a STAR check in the mail each year. You can use the check to pay your school taxes. You can receive the STAR credit if you own your home and it’s your primary residence and the combined income of the owners and the owners’ spouses is $500,000 or less. If you have recently purchased a new home you must register for the STAR Credit with New York State using the button below. When you register for the STAR Credit, NYS will determine your eligibility for Basic or Enhanced STAR. There is no need to reapply when you turn 65 for the Enhanced STAR Credit.

For questions regarding the STAR Credit please call New York State STAR Hotline at 518-457-2036

  • STAR exemption: a reduction on your school tax bill. If you’ve been receiving the STAR exemption since 2015, you can continue to receive it for the same primary residence. As long as you remain eligible, you’ll see a reduction on your school tax bill for the amount of your STAR exemption. Note: The STAR exemption is no longer available to new homeowners.

Switching to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption

If you are voluntarily switching to the STAR credit or you received a letter that you must update your registration (Form RP-425-RDM), you must complete a STAR credit registration. Once your registration takes effect, you’ll receive a check for the STAR credit rather than a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption). If you chose to make the switch, you will be unable to return to the STAR exemption.

If you pay school taxes through a mortgage escrow account, you may wish to contact the mortgage lender or its agent to advise them that you have switched to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.

Late Applications

A late application can be submitted after March 1, 2021 up through Grievance Day May 26, 2021. The application must be accompanied by a doctor’s note.

A late application can be submitted after Grievance Day prior to the last day of School tax bill collections by contacting New York State and showing “Good Cause”. Complete the form below and return to the address listed on the form.

Back to top