Please call (716)686-3426 if you have questions or are unsure about your garbage collection day.
Sanitation Requirements / Sanitation Policy
Place your garbage at the curb prior to 6:00 am on collection day, but not before 3:00 p.m. on the evening before collection. If your garbage or trash is out prior to 3:00 pm the day before your scheduled pickup you are in violation of town ordinances and subject to a fine. If your garbage isn’t collected as scheduled, please call sanitation at 686-3426.
- All household garbage must be placed in your Town of Cheektowaga garbage tote. The weight limit for the tote is 150 pounds maximum. Please do not overload the tote at any time.
- If you need an additional Town of Cheektowaga garbage or recycling tote, they are available at the Town Clerk’s Office, located on the first floor of Cheektowaga Town Hall. Replacement garbage totes are $45.
- Please record your tote’s serial number. You may place your address on the tote with adhesive numbers but, please, no painting of address on tote. Also, have the handle side of the tote next to the street to help Sanitation Department workers move it to the rear of the truck for quick pick up.
- Carpet, carpet padding, pool liners/covers and similar bulky items must be cut into 4 foot widths/lengths, rolled and tied, not to exceed 40 pounds per bundle
- All plasterboard, drywall, paneling, doors, wood, shingles(and similar items) which result from work performed by the owner or occupant of a residential dwelling must be cut into 4 foot sections, tied in bundles not exceeding 40 lbs and 4 feet in length and neatly stacked at the curb or first placed in an authorized tote. The quantity of such debris shall not exceed two totes or six bundles. Additionally, we do not take landscape timbers, railroad ties, pallets, firewood or stumps. [Town Code 206-4]
- Mattresses, box springs, and toilets MUST be wrapped in plastic for pick up; they will be collected on your scheduled garbage day.
- Furniture is picked up with regular trash. A sleeper sofa must have the metal (fold-out section) removed prior to pickup. Sanitation must be contacted for metal pickup at 686-3426.
- Construction debris from contracted work must be disposed of by your contractor except for toilets (MUST be wrapped in plastic); they will be collected with the regular garbage.
- Metal Pick-up: see Highway E-Waste Recycling
Yard Waste: (mid April through mid November)
- Grass clippings must be placed in open containers or biodegradable bags not EXCEEDING 40 POUNDS. Do not mix papers, plastics or stone with the clippings. Plastic bags are not accepted. Pick up will begin, Monday, April 19th
- Branches will be picked up throughout town on a rotating basis. Sanitation will start by collecting all items not exceeding 4′ in length or 40 pounds (tied in bundles). Branches that exceed 4′ or 40 pounds will be picked up the following day by the Highway Department. Be sure all branches are piled at curbside, in an open area (not to block the sidewalk or street). As an option, residents can dispose of such branches at the Highway yard during normal business hours.
- Large landscaping materials (such as tree trunks and stumps) must be removed by your landscaping contractor
Fall Time (September – November)
Leaf Pick-up: Leaves will be picked up as quickly as possible depending on the weather. It is the resident’s responsibility to get the leaves to the grass area next to the curb. Leaves should NOT BE IN THE STREET and no brush or branches should be mixed into the leaves. Only leaves located on the grass next to the street will be picked up by the Highway Department.
* As of November 16th, 2021 yard waste (including leaves) should be placed in cans or bags until inclement weather starts for pick up by the Sanitation Department.
- Pesticides, pool chemicals, oil-based paints, paint thinners, batteries (including Auto) flammable materials and liquids, and similar materials WILL NOT BE COLLECTED by Sanitation
- Most hazardous materials can be disposed of when Erie County has a Hazardous Waste Drop Off Day. (Contact Erie County at 858-6800 for date of next drop off day).
Recycling Pickup is provided under contract by Modern Disposal Services. For Customer Service or questions call: Republic Services 1-800-330-7107