Sanitation Requirements / Sanitation Policy
Please call (716)686-3426 if you have questions or are unsure about your garbage collection day.
Place your garbage at the curb prior to 6:00 am on collection day, but not before 3:00 p.m. on the evening before collection. If your garbage or trash is out prior to 3:00 pm the day before your scheduled pickup you are in violation of town ordinances and subject to a fine. If your garbage isn’t collected as scheduled, please call sanitation at 686-3426.
- All household garbage must be placed in your Town of Cheektowaga garbage tote. The weight limit for the tote is 150 pounds maximum. Please do not overload the tote at any time.
- If you need an additional Town of Cheektowaga garbage or recycling tote, they can be purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office, located on the first floor of Cheektowaga Town Hall.
95 gallon garbage or recycling totes are $75 (currently out of stock)
65 gallon garbage or recycling totes are $70
Please record your tote’s serial number. You may place your address on the tote with adhesive numbers but, please, no painting of address on tote. Also, have the handle side of the tote next to the street to help Sanitation Department workers move it to the rear of the truck for quick pick up.
Carpet, carpet padding, pool liners/covers and similar bulky items must be cut into 4 foot widths/lengths, rolled and tied, not to exceed 40 pounds per bundle. The quantity of such debris shall not exceed six bundles.
All plasterboard, drywall, paneling, doors, wood, shingles(and similar items) which result from work performed by the owner or occupant of a residential dwelling must be cut into 4 foot sections, tied in bundles not exceeding 40 lbs and 4 feet in length and neatly stacked at the curb or first placed in an authorized tote. The quantity of such debris shall not exceed two totes or six bundles. Additionally, we do not take landscape timbers, railroad ties, pallets, firewood or stumps. [Town Code 206-4]
Mattresses, box springs, and toilets MUST be wrapped in plastic for pick up; they will be collected on your scheduled garbage day.
Furniture is picked up with regular trash. A sleeper sofa must have the metal (fold-out section) removed prior to pickup.Highway should be contacted for metal pickup at 686-3450.
Construction debris from contracted work must be disposed of by your contractor except for toilets (MUST be wrapped in plastic); they will be collected with the regular garbage.
Yard Waste: (mid April through mid November)
- Grass clippings must be placed in open containers or biodegradable bags not EXCEEDING 40 POUNDS. Do not mix papers, plastics or stone with the clippings. Plastic bags are not accepted. Pick up will begin, Monday, April 18th
- Branches will be picked up throughout town on a rotating basis. Sanitation will start by collecting all items not exceeding 4′ in length or 40 pounds (tied in bundles). Branches and shrubbery that exceed 4′ or 40 pounds, or has the roots on them, requires a call to the Highway Department to schedule a pickup. 686-3450 or Highway@tocny.org.
- Large landscaping materials (such as tree trunks and stumps) must be removed by your landscaping contractor
Fall Time (September – November)
Highway Leaf Pick-up: Leaves will be picked up as quickly as possible depending on the weather. It is the resident’s responsibility to get the leaves to the grass area next to the curb (aka the right of way). Leaves should NOT BE IN THE STREET and no brush or branches should be mixed into the leaves. Only leaves located in the right of way will be picked up by the Highway Department. Questions should be directed to the Highway Department at (716) 686-3450.
As of November 16, 2021 yard waste, including leaves, should be placed in heavy duty plastic bags and put in your garbage tote. If the bags will not fit inside the tote, you may place them next to the tote and the Sanitation Department will pick them up.
- Pesticides, pool chemicals, oil-based paints, paint thinners, batteries (including Auto) flammable materials and liquids, and similar materials WILL NOT BE COLLECTED by Sanitation
- Most hazardous materials can be disposed of when Erie County has a Hazardous Waste Drop Off Day. (Contact Erie County at 858-6800 for date of next drop off day).
Recycling pickup is provided under contract by Modern Disposal Services. If you have any customer service issues or have questions please contact the Sanitation Department at (716) 686-3426, Sanitation@tocny.org or message us through Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CheektowagaSanitationDepartment.