Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Small Claims is an informal court where individuals can sue for money damages only up to $3,000 maximum in the Town and Village Court.  Claims over $3000 but not exceeding $5,000 can be direct to a City Court.  The person or business MUST reside or have an office for business in the Town of Cheektowaga.

To start a small claim, come to the Court and complete a small claims application in which you will need the name and address of the party to be sued.  A filing fee of $10 is required for claims up to $1,000 or $15 for claims up to $3,000.  A future court date will be scheduled. 

Cheektowaga Justice Court Application for Small Claims click here


For further inquiries:

For Free Forms, Instructions and Information on starting a Small Claims Case:

Landlord/Tenant Issues
Phone: (716) 686-3459   Fax: (716) 686-3585

In a Justice Court; you can have an attorney prepare the necessary eviction paperwork. Contact the court for further information if you see it necessary to prepare the necessary documents yourself. Please note all evictions in Towns and Villages are held virtually in Buffalo City Court.

Effective September 12, 2022 – Notice of Nonpayment Petition for landlords, please complete and hand deliver to Cheektowaga Town Courts for processing.

The NYS Courts Access to Justice Program is pleased to announce a new publication;

“Tenant Questions and Answers:  Holdover Eviction Cases in New York State.”  This guide is available on CourtHelp ( and is specifically written for tenants in District, City, Town and Village Court holdover summary proceedings.  This guide is a companion to the “Tenant Questions & Answers Nonpayment Eviction cases in New York State, published in December.

Pro Se Small Property Owners – DIY Form; New Program walks pro se small property owners through a series of questions then prepares either a “3 or 30-day notice to quit” and a “notice of Petition” and Petition.  Instructions are available to the litigant on how to proceed with a licensee or squatter holdover proceeding in the Town Court.  Both DIY Form programs are available on CourtHelp at:

Back to top
The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.